We highly recommend you make a note to complete regular backups of your Sage payroll data.
That way if anything happens to your computer, you can always restore your previously backed up data so you don’t need to process everything again.
You should try to take at least one backup to an external device such as a USB.
How do I perform a back up on my Sage Payroll
1.Click Tools then click Backup
2.Click Browse, then browse to where you want to save the file
3.In Filename, enter a name for your backup so you can easily identify it.
4.Click Backup now then click Close Backup screen.
Restore a backup of your data
If you take regular payroll back up’s, you can always restore back to the moment when you took the backup.
If you made a mistake in a pay period and you need to go back to correct it, or you need to install your software on a new computer.
When you do restore, it will revert your data back to the moment when you took your backup. If necessary, you can then reprocess back up to date.
If you don’t take regular backups, you can always recover your data instead. How to do this is mentioned in How to use the recover option.
- Click Tools then click Restore.
- Click Browse then browse to the backup you want to restore, then click Open.
- To restore your RTI files along with your data, select the first check box.
**(You should only do this the first time you restore data on a new computer. This ensures there’s a record of your previous submissions so they don’t get submitted to HMRC again.)**
- To include your pension provider files, select the second check box.
**(You should also only do this the first time you restore data on a new computer.)**
- Click Restore Now, then click Continue to Restore.
- Click Close Restore screen.
How to use the Recover option
If you made a mistake in a previous pay period and you need to go back to correct it, you can use the Recover option.
When you recover, it restores an automatic backup taken immediately before you completed the finish payroll option. If necessary, you can then reprocess back up to date.
*Before you recover your data, we recommend that you take a backup*
- Click Tools then click Recover.
- Click the pay period that you need to reprocess.
- Click Recover this data.
- Click Continue to Recover.
- Click Close Recover screen.